Permanent/FT: Summary of Position: This position is responsible to oversee and protect the legal interests of our client company in Philadelphia and to serve as the primary legal advisor to the CEO, the organization’s senior management team, as well as act as a liaison for various departments within a related company to our client company. In addition, this position is responsible for management of the company’s aircraft hull and liability insurance, commercial insurance lines and workers compensation. S/he will function as a member of the senior leadership team and will lead and manage the Legal Affairs, Insurance and Trade Compliance & Governance functions. In addition, this position acts as the Secretary to the Company’s Board of Directors. This position will advise on major contracts and transactions, insurance coverage, trade and regulatory compliance; and other agreements; litigation; research and intellectual property matters; employment matters, and outside counsel management. This position will ensure that all business activities are carried out in accordance with relevant laws, the Company’s Code of Ethics, and corporate governance best practices. This position has oversight of the insurance lines mentioned above and provides guidance with respect to coverage questions and risk management best practices. This position brings together the legal expertise of our client company into a single integrated team, operating across the company, to provide timely, high quality, commercially oriented legal advice and support to the CEO, a related company’s Deputy General Counsel, the company Board of Directors, and the company senior management team in order to help the company meet its business targets and objectives.
If upon reading all the skills and requirements for this position, you truly believe you are qualified, please send your resume, cover letter and TARGET ANNUAL SALARY to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (the [bracketed] figure at the end of each description represents the estimated percentage of time that is spent on each duty/responsibility).
1. Provide overall leadership and management of all corporate and commercial legal matters, including Legal Affairs and Trade Compliance & Governance. Trade Compliance & Governance includes all aspects of import/export licensing, security, ethics and compliance programs for the company. [20%]
2. Provide legal advice to company senior management and multiple departments within the company and/or related companies including, but not limited to departments such as Sales and Marketing, Commercial Business Unit, Customer and Product Support, Training, Legal, Import/Export, Human Resources and Supply Chain. [20%]
3. Manage the company commercial insurance programs including: Aircraft Hull and Liability, Non-Aviation General Liability, Business Auto, Crime, Fiduciary Liability, Workers Comp, Foreign Workers Comp, Business Interruption, Property and Environmental Impairment, Products Liability, Travel Accident, Marine, Excess Liability and Foreign Package. Liaison with related companies for all global programs. Oversee renewal and claims. Advise all departments within the company regarding coverage parameters and risk management best practices [20%]
4. Prepare legally effective contracts to be proposed to outside parties including, but not limited to, aircraft purchase agreements, aircraft maintenance program agreements (COMP and CPA), consignment agreements, aircraft leases, nondisclosure agreements, service center agreements and facility leases. Discuss goals of the contracts with requesting departments, prepare drafts for review and comment; incorporate requested changes before final versions are prepared; and incorporate any changes that might result from negotiations. [20%]
5. Review contracts proposed to the company by third parties to ensure compliance with company protocol before they are accepted and signed by company executives; recommend and negotiate changes that would benefit the company; and identify and negotiate items that could negatively affect the company. Provide interpretation of existing company contracts as issues arise regarding rights and responsibilities under legal documents. [10%]
6. Monitor all company litigation; gather and compile all the internal documentation related to each case as required during the discovery process; act as liaison with outside counsel; attend hearings, motions and meetings regarding each case on an as-needed basis; and inform company officials of the status, likelihood of success, settlement negotiations and disposition of cases. [5%]
7. Support the Sales Department with contract review and customer relations. Ensure contract compliance. Oversee preparation of aircraft sales and delivery documentation and coordinate closings as needed. Coordinate preparation of FAA and International Registry documents related to aircraft sales/title transfer/deregistration. [5%]
8. Perform Corporate Secretary function pursuant to Delaware corporate law and Company parameters. Maintain corporate records and prepare ad hoc reports for management review and decision-making purposes. [5%]
9. Monitor developments in the law that have the potential to affect the company and its operations. Perform legal research necessary to evaluate corporate actions and advise company management of the legality of these actions.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION:
-Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
-Juris Doctor degree from an accredited US law school
-Continuing legal education as mandated by state bar
- Minimum of 10+ years of legal experience as general counsel or senior managing in-house counsel of a corporation, preferably in the aviation industry.
- Aviation experience is required, including the areas of compliance, sales, product support, finance, and insurance business operations and contracting.
- Experience in legal interpretation and oversight of _government contracts_ is required.
- Experience representing aviation manufacturers is strongly preferred.
- Experience interacting with Board operations and advising on various issues such as corporate governance and fiduciary duties, ethics and compliance, and strategic transactions.
- Experience with compliance-related issues and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and enforce compliance and legal policies and procedures.
- Proven track record of strong negotiation, communication, organizational, and people management skills.
- Domestic and international travel will be required
Competencies & Attributes:
-A demonstrated ability to be an effective leader within an established legal department
-Strong negotiation, communication, organizational and people management skills
-Personal credibility and the ability to articulate legal positions and strategies concisely
and quickly, in a manner that is useful and easily understood by the client
-Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and interact effectively at all levels of the organization
-Ability to influence and build relationships
Licensure/Certification: Pennsylvania bar admission
Experience in legal interpretation and oversight of _government contracts_ is required.